Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Recent Reads

One thing I am enjoying about being a college graduate is the ability to do some recreational reading. Don't get me wrong, I very very rarely {I can't emphasize how rarely} read a college textbook. I'm just not that hardcore of a student. But I also rarely read books for fun in college. Partly cause I had no time, partly because I could think of better things to do with my free time, and partly because it made me feel just a little bit guilty {you know, reading a love story when I should be reading about textile science, or educational psych, or some other boring topic.}

But. Now that I have an overabundance of time and no reason to feel guilty reading for pleasure, I've started reading more and more. I've even bought a few books lately {I'm usually a regular library patron.}

Wanna know what I've been sinking my brain into?? Don't judge...






Ok, I do realize these could all be considered "self-help" books, but I must admit... I'm a junky. I love fiction, but sometimes I just need substance and meaning. Something that will actually have an impact on my life when I put the book back on the shelf, ya know?? 

Anyway, I'm also a sucker for relationship books. They just interest me. Gender roles and differences, how men and women relate to each other, how to communicate more effectively. I just find it all kind of fascinating. I think the one textbook I gladly read in college was in my Relationship Management class. Call me a dweeb, but I love that stuff! I also especially like it now that it has a bit more meaning. You know, cause I'm getting married!!! :)

And the Dave Ramsey book was also inspired by the upcoming nuptials. And because I have been intrigued by his philosophy for awhile now. *Nerd Alert* once again, but the book is actually really inspiring. I'm only about half-way through, but I'm super excited about applying some of these principles right from the start of our marriage. I'm not saying we'll be perfect at it, or that we'll fully complete his cycle {at least maybe not right away} but it has definitely made me more aware of some of my current spending habits, and some things to watch out for once we're married. I definitely recommend it!!

Anyway, there's a peak into my geekiness. At least I didn't tell you about my secret sci-fi fascination. shhhhh. ;)

1 comment:

  1. You need to read "When Sinners Say I Do" before you get married, great book. We read Love and Respect, it was helpful as well (another one similar is DNA of Relationships). They ARE fun to read, I'm feelin ya yo!

    And as far as sci-fi, you must read The Host if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete